Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bukowski

on the anniversary of the birth
of Charles Bukowski
a friend posted
a poem of his
about a bluebird trapped
inside a heart.

I replied
“I love him!”
(meaning
the poet.)

he wrote back
“this I would not have guessed.”

which makes me wonder
why.

I know it started
with just one
poem.
it always does.

I look
in the usual places
and find no evidence.

at the library on Saturday
I check out
all
the Bukowski books
because
I need to know.

I sit on the back deck
and devour the pages
without pause.
there's a torn piece of pink Kleenex
left behind to
mark page
131
a poem called
heart in the cage.
I vow not
to leave my Women for Obama
sticker inside when
I’m finished.

in the end
I cannot find the one poem
that began it
all.

this I know

he writes
like a
man
a little like Hemingway.
about drinking and gambling and 
power
and I would say sex
but he calls it fucking.
and it’s all underlined
with
disappointment and 
hunger and pain.

maybe
that's what I like.
maybe
I want to know
what men really think.
or maybe
I already know
what they think.
and maybe
I just like
that he has the guts
to actually say it

like it is.

my friend is right.
these poems
are nothing like
me
on the outside
but
a little bit
like
us all
on the inside.

most of us have learned
to hide it
but Bukowski
he refused to look away.

No comments:

Post a Comment