Tuesday, March 13, 2012

How to bury the lead

Our house sits beside the neighborhood snow hill.  Unfortunately this year, the sleds remained tucked in the attic leaving us only with memories of the epic snowstorm of 2009.  Back then, for several brilliant days, enterprising children and dads built a marvelous luge track complete with banked turns and jumps at the bottom. Our speedy red duct-taped sled dominated the races.  And I chalked up yet another awkward visit to the doctor.  Two moms... one sled... big jump... ouch.

Despite the thrill of it all, we were pretty much over enjoying our children who'd been at home all throughout the holidays. Presented with the attractive opportunity of spending even more time with them, we searched for escape.  We joined Facebook.

It was such a wild and unruly idea at first. Yet looking back, I see that in a stunningly short time, we reconciled to the new world order and start declaring all sorts of fascinating and mundane things to our newly mashed-together universe of friends, family and workmates. My favorite has always been the 25-things-about-me phenomenon -- charming admissions about things we love, things we hate, things we wish for and things we believe.

#1 on my list is that I think the best days in the world are snow days.

#9 is this: I hate saying goodbye.

Last week, I had to say out loud, to people I love, that I'm leaving OPB.  And for the past several days, it's been unexpectedly excruciating to begin to unwind myself from the place and the magic I've been so fortunate to be a part of.  Tears are falling, although thankfully, at this point, they're mostly limited to the car and the shower rather than the office of the CEO.

But it's time to dare myself to try something new. It's time to scare myself a little.  And it's time to embrace the part of my work that's been missing for a while -- the part that makes me feel like I'm speeding down that virtual snow hill. I need that.

My 14 days cleared my mind and gave me the confidence to make the leap. bc14days.blogspot.com  

I'm so totally thrilled about what lies ahead when I join Lewis Kennedy as a partner.  I'm already dreaming of doing fascinating new things, working with amazing people, and making a new kind of difference. (OK, I'm dreaming about decorating my office too.)

I know the OPB magic will stay with me. If only I could leave my badge on my desk and slip secretly out of the building when the time comes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness for snowy hills and 14 days to clear your head. Congratulations on your new adventure! Thanks too for blogging and sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete